Do you know that 80% of the USA has a hard water supply? Well, you may not know but it’s true.
This does not mean you can not enjoy soft water because solutions in the form of water softeners are available in the market.
Hard water directly affects water pipes, grocery items, dishes, stained showerheads and the most important is ashy skin and hair issues.
Fleck water softeners are best in the market nowadays, they have multiple solutions and softeners for different households and counting on the number of family members in the house.
Fleck is a brand owned by US water systems. Fleck water softeners specially fleck 5600 SXT have customizable options and the most popular control valves and especially the backlit display.
Table of Contents
- 1 Fleck 5600 SXT Best Water softener
- 2 Installation and commissioning instructions of Fleck 5600 SXT
- 3 The package Includes(pieces)
- 4 Programming, configuration, and maintenance
- 5 Our verdict
Fleck 5600 SXT Best Water softener
The Fleck 5600 SXT Digital Metered Water Softener, made in the USA, is our first choice when it comes to removing calcium and other hardness minerals from water.
The system is ideal for small and medium households of 2 to 6 people.
Using the Fleck, you will notice that you no longer need as much soap and your skin will feel less dry. Also, showers and toilets will stay cleaner for longer.
The 48,000 grain system can also be used for iron treatment with a maximum concentration of iron (ferrous) in the clear water of 2 ppm. Iron from water Reverse Osmosis (ferric) will not be affected.
Flow rate: 12 GPM
Capacity: 48,000 Grains
Number of people: 2-6
What we like
First of all, the Fleck 5600 SXT is best suited for medium to very hard water.
It applies an ion exchange process that also extends the longevity of your water-using appliances and plumbing.
With adequate pressure (20 to 125 psi), you can expect a flow rate of approximately 12 gallons per minute (28 GPM at peak), enough for an entire home with multiple bathrooms.
It is a metered-on-demand device, which means that the system measures water usage and runs regeneration cycles as needed (or scheduled) using no more salt than necessary.
The result: Salt and water waste is reduced, while you never run out of softened water. Is there a better way to save money?
The digital head gives you full control over all settings and allows quick and easy setup. Additionally, the LCD screen displays current system status and possible error codes, making troubleshooting much easier.
During regeneration, a safety float and a stop-filter drain on the brine tank prevent overfilling for added peace of mind.
We also like that the seller offers reliable customer service, which is another reason this product is among the best-selling water softeners on Amazon, backed by literally hundreds of positive customer reviews.
What we don’t like
This is what we don’t like:
- The system does not sound an audible alarm when it is running low on salt. However, there is a warning light. The good news is that a family of four can use about one bag of salt per month on average. Since the brine tank can hold up to 4 bags, you should be good at checking the salt level every two months.
- Some customers complained of not receiving instructions with their shipment.
- Some parts are made of plastic. We would have preferred stainless steel.
Installation and commissioning instructions of Fleck 5600 SXT
To successfully install the Fleck 5600 SXT water softener as a homeowner, all you need is some basic plumbing skills. We wouldn’t say that setup is super easy, but at the same time, there isn’t much you need to worry about.
The time required: A couple of hours.
The instructions provided are quite easy to read. If you get stuck, we recommend that you take a look at some useful videos on YouTube ( or see below ).
Also, do not hesitate to contact the seller. Usually, you get a quick response.
This is what you have to do:
If a softener is not equipped with a bypass valve, we recommend that you provide one for ease of maintenance. Also, be sure to comply with local plumbing codes.
- Close the water supply.
Find an indoor/warm location near a drain to avoid air reverse osmosis and backflow.
- Make sure the softener tank is level and secure.
- Cut the manifold tube flush with the top of the tank.
- Lubricate the manifold and tank O-ring seals with silicone. Place the main control valve on the tank.
- Connect the drain line flow control fitting (DLFC) to the drain. Do not use anything other than Teflon tape as a sealant.
- Make sure the brine tank is level and secure.
- Add 1 ″ of water above the grill plate or fill to the top of the air plate, if no grill plate is used.
- Put the unit in bypass mode.
- Turn on the main water supply. Check for leaks.
- Open a cold water outlet nearby and let the system clean out all debris.
- Close the outlet.
- Slowly switch from bypass mode to service mode to allow water to flow into the resin tank.
- Once full, reopen the cold water outlet to purge all air from the system.
- Plug the unit into the outlet.
Now is the time to start the system:
- Put the softener in bypass mode.
- Fill the brine tank with salt (follow the manufacturer’s instructions).
- Slowly open the bypass valve. Let all the remaining airflow down the drain line.
- Allow the system to go through a full backwash cycle. Check for leaks.
The package Includes(pieces)
- Resin tank (black), 10 ″ x 54 ″, 10-year warranty
- Brine tank (black), 15 ″ x 33 ″, with safety float, can hold about 250 pounds of salt
- Fleck Bypass Valve, 5 Year Warranty
- 1 ″ Flange-screw connection Reverse Osmosis male
- Paddlewheel gauge
- 48,000 grain (1.5 cu ft) high capacity resin
- PurTest Iron / Hardness Test Kit
Programming, configuration, and maintenance
Thanks to an easy-to-use digital controller with quick and intuitive programming, setup, and maintenance, the Fleck 5600 SXT is a breeze. Add new salt every now and then – and the rest is set and forgotten.
Not only can you choose from 4 regeneration modes (immediate, delayed counter, time-delayed, or day of the week), you can also choose double backwash, which is a useful feature if your water is extremely hard or has a high content of iron.
The display alternates between the time of day, the volume of water remaining, and the days until the next regeneration.
In the event of a power failure, the display has a built-in backup capacitor for a minimum of 48 hours of internal power. As long as continuous water use is not monitored, the volume of water remaining at the time of failure is stored to prevent a full cycle reset.
The Fleck 5600 SXT Water Softener is your best option if you are struggling with medium to high water hardness levels.
The package provides you with everything you need. DIY installation and setup are manageable. Also, most of the customers are very happy with their purchase. 5 stars for service adds the finishing touch!